Back Safety Training and Proper Lifting Techniques (#CCS07-001)
Back injuries account for around one fourth of all injuries according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It's also one of the most preventable.
One of the most surprising facts about back injuries is that it is not so much about how much weight is lifted; rather, it is about how that weight is lifted. A person might be careful to lift properly when he or she perceives that the load is heavy, but the real danger is when a "light" load is lifted carelessly.
Most people- 80%- will experience some type of back injury in their lifetime. Most of these are injuries to the lower back caused by careless lifting and twisting.
The consequences of improper lifting affect both employee and employer: employees deal with sometimes excruciating back pain, and are unable to continue with normal activities.
The Back Safety Training Kit is designed to assist employers in training their workers about back safety. The kit includes:
- Training Video (DVD or VHS)
- How the back works
- Good Posture
- Common Back Problems
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Back Maintenance and Health
- Leader's Guide (Video program outline, quiz, answer key, training log, certificate, more information resources)
- Back Safety Powerpoint Presentation
- Back Safety Manual (printable, on CD)